Friday, April 26, 2013

Internet Connections...

Well today looks to be the first day in forever that I actually have had internet connection for an extended period of time.  It is truly annoying when a body does not have access to the world out there.  Annoying and a bit scary.  Scary in the way that when I don't have connection I realize how much I have come to rely on instant gratification of my needs. 

How big is an acre?  I'll just Google that. 

What was John Lennon's middle name?  What is the average temperature of Antarctica, how about the Arctic?  Who wrote Of Mice and Men?  What is the name of those two lines under your nose?  What is a good recipe for potato soup?  How do you train a cat not to scratch the furniture?  Do fish have ears?  List the best movies of 2012?  What is a natural way to rid your property of ticks?  What did George Takei post on FB today?  And the list goes on. 

How does a person get through her day without that information?  My mom had three sets of encyclopedia's which she was frantically trying to pawn off on me before her final move out east, I declined, gently, then very firmly.  When weight and bulk are issues for transporting stuff across thousands of kilometers, who exactly needs another thousand pounds.  Also, call me lazy, but I was not interested in packing the books from her place to my place, from my place all the way across the country, then from the cargo trailer into the basement where they would sit, unopened for the coming millennium.  I've considered those encyclopedias once or twice but then realized that the information held between their pages were probably outdated by the time they hit the shelves.  (Perhaps the history wasn't, but even history is always being revised.)

Although I do feel out of sorts when not connected to the information super-highway I do think I have become too reliant on it.  I just have to consider that when the Zombie Apocalypse happens all of it will be gone with the flick of a switch and the shuffling of undead feet. 

2 comments:

  1. You should read "The World Without Us". Just finished it myself. Quite an interesting view on what could happen to our beleaguered planet if we were all suddenly kidnapped by aliens (or something equivalent).

    ReplyDelete