Sunday, April 28, 2013

Laying the Boots

It is a seriously beautiful day today.  Warm, sunny, and no bugs.  Did I mention warm...and sunny...and no bugs?  The cold nights are keeping them down me thinks.  I took the hell hound out for a small walk today and made her tow the line.  She had to heel for almost eight kilometers, oh the humanity.  I find with this dog, even though she is a bit of a sweet heart, she has a tendency to get all German Shepherd on me, if I am not careful.

For those of you who may not know the formula, German Shepherd = Asshat.  If you aren't careful they start to think that they rule the roost, and with a dog that size you cannot allow it, unless you happen to be okay with being ignored, and/or shepherded all over the place.  So sometimes I have to lay the boots to her ass.  And when I say "lay the boots", I mean make her heel, and if she doesn't heel then I banish her from the pack.  Which in doggy-land is wayyyyyy more traumatizing then beating them.  When I banish her from the pack she skulks behind me trying to act all cute-like and make me love her again.  I didn't let her back in to the pack until the last 300 meters, so of course she was over the moon with excitement and did the "love you long time" routine with me until we got home and someone down the lake pulled in with a dog in tow, then all bets were off.  Sigh...she is currently out of favour with the pack again.

Just finished reading, Girl Gone, by Gillian Flynn, it was a pretty good book, except I didn't care for the ending, there was a little too much super criminal going on.  I was a little concerned at first because there didn't seem to be a whole bunch going on in the middle, but the writing kept me interested enough to the end.  Not like the disaster of a book I just got through awhile ago, A Working Theory of Love, by Scott Hutchins...that was beyond awful.  I highly do not recommend that one, unless you don't mind reading a book where absolutely nothing happens. You would think that with sentient computer programs and mystery it would have interesting stuff happening in it...nope. 

And speaking of not recommending something, you probably shouldn't bother reading, The Long Earth, by Terry Prachett.  Being a Prachett fan I was really looking forward to this book...it was not good.  I also cannot recommend it.  It doesn't have the Prachett humour, and the scenario he is trying to get the reader to believe, I could not buy into it, there were too many gaps in his science to make it plausible. 

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce now there is another one I do NOT recommend.  It started out good, then crashed and burned.  And when I say crashed, I mean it.  I also just finished, How to be a Woman, by Caitlan Moran just a bit ago...it was pretty good.  Funny and interesting although she did seem to be targeting a very narrow version of women, there were many times I could not relate. 

Well I didn't mean this to be book review day.  Speaking of book review I best be working on mine.  Happy warm Sunday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment