Saturday, January 24, 2015

Cloudy with periods of dum

As I write this the clouds have moved in and the weather forecast of lots of rain looks to be about the way things are actually going to turn out.  The lake has about 9" of ice on it (well in front of the shack) and zero snow.  So it is dark grey and looks very, very slippery.  If I didn't have a shitty cold and I did have a pair of skates, I might actually go out and try things out.  What's the worst that could happen? 

The neighbour across the way has a cabin which can only be reached by boat, or in the winter by sled or quad.  Last night they made approximately a thousand trips back and forth across the channel.  I suspect they might be taking advantage of the conditions to take over much needed supplies...perhaps of the renovation kind...I'm only guessing because it was dark and I couldn't see what they were hauling, and this morning when it was light and they continued hauling I couldn't give a rats ass and so never bothered to actually look.   But as I went out to fill the bird feeder I noticed that they had now taken the sled off the back of the quad and were busy doing 360s out in the middle of the lake. 

I did my old curmudgeon shake of my head and went back into the house.  Two things which leads me to think that this is a bad idea...1) when they were doing 360s the quad almost tipped over on the two people who were riding it, and 2) the channel has a pretty decent current running through it, so 9" of ice near the shore and away from the current may not equate to 9" of ice out in the middle.  I will be seriously pissed if I have to be part of some kind of rescue attempt. 

1 comment:

  1. It really is a shame that you can't just honestly invoke Darwin in situations like those and watch them sink to the bottom while shaking your head. Egregious stupidity should have that kind of reward because these are the kinds of people who should be kept away from A) reproducing and B) voting.

    p.s. And C) pretty much anything that requires the barest hint of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete