Friday, May 11, 2012

TGIF at TOS&TS

It is Friday isn't it?  When a body is living out in the bush and doesn't have regular TV there is pretty much zero incentive to keep track of the days.  Most of the time I'm lucky if I remember what month it is.  Recently I had a couple of run-ins with the WORK word and I could feel my mind clicking over to the "being part of the world" mode, and it was scary.  Not scary in the way that I am now afraid of being around people scary, but scary in the way that when I start thinking about working outside the house I get all regimented.  My thoughts almost instantaneously went from, "what should I do today?", to, "today I have to get this done, then that, then that, and I have to hurry because I won't be around for long stretches of time."  Now that is scary. 

Luckily things didn't pan out and I was able to think things through, thanks to a bit of a reality check from my littlest brother, so I opted to take the summer off of job hunting and then maybe give it another crack in the fall.  This way I might be able to dedicate some of my time to writing, which was one of the major reasons for this move in the first place, and perhaps a little time to some art.  Although the art thing might be a tad bit difficult as I have no place to create art until my studio is finished.  Then suddenly I get a phone call last night from a place I had applied to a few weeks back and they want to interview me.  I hadn't really seriously thought they would take me up on my offer, most especially because I had sent them my real resume, not the dumbed down versions I've been getting hits on.  Unfortunately this is potentially a "real job" which means that I may actually consider taking it if offered to me.  I know...I'm a sucker for punishment.  But real job means real money, which means that the Wookie Cave gets finished a lot quicker than anticipated, the deck gets finished, the boat house gets built, and a few other "nice to haves" may get bought.  A dilemma for sure.  Well lucky for me there are quite a few issues not in my favour for this one so I may not have to actually make any kind of decision on it. 

I just feel like I'm blathering away about crap these last couple of days so I think I'm going to stop. 

In the meantime please enjoy some useful phrases  for the workplace:

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.
I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy. Thank you.
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.
It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
How about never? Is never good for you?
I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to worship me

You sound reasonable...Time to up my medication

I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.
You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.
I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

2 comments:

  1. I realize that it is a fine line but part of the *deal* with these here blog-like things is that it can connect us and our *crap blathering* with a select company of other humans who, oddly enough, find some edification in said blathering. Yes...it means that I don't mind having blathering to look at. Occasionally they can devolve into witty or insightful things and that is just bonus points all around.

    Speaking of which it's good to be in the *bonus round* stage of things and if you opt for the potential job (that may or may not be offered) *it* gets to live up to your expectations and you absolutely don't have to put up with crap. Imagine the happy and competent workforce you would have if people worked by *choice* instead of essentially working under the aegis of fear and uncertainty. I want to live in *that* world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zilla's Other HalfMay 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

    I guess I'm fighting with that word 'choice'. Yes I chose to say 'yes' to this job, but I'm not entirely certain that 'no' was an equal option. The money will be an extra help - maybe - of course it may just shove me into yet a different tax bracket and that would be unpleasant. I currently find myself more short tempered and irritated on a regular basis. At least now I think I have a better handle on dealing with that than I might have 10 years ago. Still means your poor brother gets to deal with it... We'll see how it all progresses.

    ReplyDelete