Thursday, April 12, 2012

Waiting Ever So Patiently

Typically I am a pretty patient person, in comparison to the hubby I would be considered a guru who meditates on a question for twenty years before answering, but not this week.  This week I have the patience of a two year old waiting for a piece of chocolate.  I want my countertops, I want a working sink, I want to be able to put all my stuff away. The countertop guy said that if things went right we would either see it installed today or tomorrow. Worst case scenario, Monday. Nooooooooooooooo not Monday! Like George Carlin said, your house is just a place where you keep all your stuff.  Well I want places to keep my stuff.  I want to be able to organize my stuff in neat rows and lines.  I want to be able to turn the freakin tap on without making sure that the bucket under the sink is empty.  I want to put dishes into a dishwasher and just walk away.  Oh baby that would be sweet.  Kind of tingly all over if you know what I mean. 

Yesterday I dragged out the ladder, a bucket, and rags then pulled all the screens out of the windows and took them outside to hose and wipe them off. They all had about a half inch layer of construction dust stuck to them. Then as they were drying in the sun I washed all the windows, inside and out. This accomplished two things, 1) I finally got my windows cleaned, and 2) it kept me busy enough where I wasn't fretting about the kitchen. The dog thought it was the best of times, she spent the majority of the time trying to get sprayed by the hose, trying to lick the vinegar/soapy water bucket contents, and jumping on the ladder when I was standing on it. Believe me when I say that German Shepherds are not very helpful when it comes to washing windows.

It's been just over a year since we started our renovations and boy what a year it's been.  I was looking back at some of the pictures I took while things were in progress, and even though I was part of the effort and saw what things were like before, I have a hard time believing it is the same place.  So far we have changed all the windows, put in two new doors, ripped out all the outside walls and most of the inside ones, redid a lot of the ceilings, laid hardwood flooring throughout the whole house, demolished the old bathroom and built two new ones, built a new laundry room, redid the fireplace, ripped out the kitchen and rebuilt it, demolished the "sun room" and built a new master bedroom and ensuite, ripped off reams of wall paper, gave every room at least three coats of paint including the ceilings, ripped off old vinyl siding and replaced it with wood. Not to mention adding at least another 20 R factor to the insulation to the whole house. 

All in all it's been a busy, busy year.  And we are by no means finished, the master bedroom still needs the hardwood flooring laid, the ensuite still needs...well everything, we still need to buy, paint, and install most of the trim around windows, doors, and floors, we need to upgrade our power (well the electrician needs to do that) then finish the siding where the mast is, add insulation to the attic, rip down and build a new deck around the house, clean up the basement (that is a whole other story) then redo the Wookie Cave.  AND I still need my countertops! 

No comments:

Post a Comment